Sunday 25 August 2013

Product Review: Ishana, Sandalwood Moisturising Body Lotion (INR 400.00, 200ml)

The Taj Mahal, Agra

Last year I spent a month in India. The sights, sounds and spectacle of it all was just astounding. Towering old forts, hectic market places, serene palaces and a whole lot of monkeys - I was living my own Kipling short story.

In particular, the aroma of the place, whether good or bad, is always deeply atmospheric (and pungent...). On my way back to Blighty, with my spare Rupee, I picked up a sandalwood moisturising body lotion by Indian brand Ishana. Now, at the time I thought I was never going to be able to buy this product again, but utilising the wonders of the internet it turns out Ishana has an online store.

Ishana - The Conscious One

Before I begin, it might not be the most sophisticated in the world in terms of ingredients, but this product is so evocative of a time and place that it doesn't matter. Not only that, if you want a lotion that will leave you feeling smoothed and (quite heavily) fragranced all day, you can't go wrong.

The lotion is paraben free, which is good for those that worry about such things, and the sandalwood is deeply moisturising and gives this lotion its distinctive scent (just imagine incense burning as you settle down for a healing massage...). Also, sandalwood is quite a manly smell, as far as it goes.


Me being modern in Jaipur

The aloe vera extract is soothing, and the honey and almond oil add to the nourishing effect. Application is easy and although the lotion is a little bit greasy because of the oil content it does absorb pretty well. Importantly for the hairy guy (I raise my hand) this is the case even over a hairy chest or legs. 


The Lake Palace, Udaipur

I don't know many modern men who use a body lotion - it can be a little time consuming - but if you're quite traditional in your tastes (i.e., you like to splash on a bit of the old spice) then you might find you like Ishana, or at least other sandalwood based products. I also happen to think that sandalwood has quite a romantic aroma, but that's for another post.

By the way, INR 400.00 is roughly £4.00, so this product is also a bargain!


Bundi Train Station, Rajasthan 


1 comment: