Thursday 12 September 2013

Product Review: Dermalogica Invigorating Shave Gel (£18.20, 177ml)

Disappointingly Dermalogica

Dermalogica launched this shave gel to offer an alternative to the shave cream and the close shave oil. I thought I'd give it a try, having been convinced by the sales assistant that it would do all sorts of good stuff.

Now, starting with the positive, the peppermint and Tea Tree in this product means it smells amazing. And the Tea Tree is tinglingly cool on the skin. On that basis, the "invigorating" part of the gel's name is totally appropriate.

That's all. Now on with my issues...

The clear formula is designed to give maximum visibility whilst shaving. As I specifically asked whether this product foamed (I was, needless to say, in search of a foam) and was informed that it did, the fact that it doesn't (particularly or at all) was quite disappointing.

Also, although meant to calm redness and dull any irritation, I've not found this product particularly helpful at combatting shaving rash, which can be quite bad for me around the adam's apple. Further, the gel dries out quite quickly, so it's almost best to shave in two stages (perhaps the face and then separately the neck) so you can apply the gel just before taking the razor to it. You also need to use more of the gel than prescribed to get a good coverage - you should never be shaving over dry skin!

Most annoyingly, and a reviewer on the Dermalogica website agrees with me, is that the cap doesn't have any application control, so the gel simply falls out of the tube if held at the wrong angle. I made this mistake when I first used the gel, much to my dismay.

All in all I'm quite disappointed by this, and once I'm out I'll certainly be on the market for a new shaving assistant. Preferably one that foams! Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment