Wednesday 11 September 2013

My New: Diptyque, Tam Dao Eau de Toilette (£50.00, 50ml)


I have been inspired since reviewing Terre d'Hermes last week to break out of my (admitted heavenly fragranced) Penhaligon's rut this autumn and to try something new. I searched high and higher for my autumnal signature scent, but have now landed on Diptyque's Tam Dao Eau de Toilette.

Part of the woody family in Diptyque's range of personal fragrances, Tam Dao is a unisex eau de toilette that is full to the brim with character. To me, this is a truly unisex scent. And I'm certainly not alone in thinking this. In fact, one reviewer on the John Lewis website says that both she and her husband use it...

Maybe I just have a thing for sandalwood (see my earlier body lotion product review), which is the real heart of this scent, but I find Tam Dao deeply intense, rich and dryly inviting. Perfect for a sunny afternoon in an autumnal Hyde Park or for an evening by the fire wrapped in your favourite blanket. 

With its blend of rosewood, cypress and cedar, you can also see how this woody fragrance maintains its light and class, which is so emblematic of Diptyque. You get a faint whiff of rose in there for good measure (one of the top notes), but it's the musk and amber at the base that really ground this for me. Everything works together cohesively, giving you something natural and earthy whilst still very sophisticated.

The longevity is also pretty awesome.

I have been wearing Tam Dao to work and it has received a number of compliments. My lesson learned from this: although lovely Tam Dao is not a fragrance to go unnoticed. As a result, it might be best to wear with caution if you're in a set of the ultra conservative.

The bottle is pretty damn classy too I must say. The name of the fragrance is woven into a jungle scene, with elephants roaming around to tell of Tam Dao's Indian inspiration. 

Tam Dao is £70.00 if you want to splash out on the 100ml bottle, otherwise it's £50.00 for 50ml. I would at the very least urge you to go and request a sample!

No comments:

Post a Comment