Friday 30 August 2013

Product Review: REN Skincare, Guerande Salt Exfoliating Body Balm (£20.00, 330ml)

REN hits the spot.


Body scrubs are pretty confusing (I say so only slightly in jest). Some are hard, grainy and downright offensive, others soft, mild and only good for a tickle. I think that this product may be the best in-betweener I’ve found.

REN has produced this salt based scrub, which does not feel particularly oily, and is leaving my body feeling pretty darn good. Having said that, it does contain basil, olive, peppermint, rosemary leaf, and sweet almond oils, but then this is what makes for that smooth and moisturised finish. It is, as well, free of synthetic ingredients (think parabens or mineral oils), just like the entire REN range.

I fully agree with Sali Hughes that this is a great product and, like she says, it does seem that it will last bloody ages (although I can’t vouch for it, having only made the purchase a wee while ago). Because of that, though, I do tend to be fairly liberal with my usage.

The only thing is, do modern men use body scrubs? I just don’t know the answer to that question and would love comments from readers on this. They certainly have their uses – the REN scrub acts as an exfoliant as well as moisturising and nourishing the skin, which means it does more than the average body wash. I'm not sure about the claim that it will make your skin glow, but other than that I'm fully on board with the advertised effects.

If you are tempted, you only need to use the scrub once a week (maybe twice, especially if you have a day where you want to feel particularly smooth and attractive). I have tried using it both before I shower and during – the exfoliation is obviously more intense in the former, but massaging the scrub onto your body during a hot shower is also pretty wonderful. If you are applying pre-shower, then make sure you're standing somewhere you can wash away any excess salt (I may or may not have stepped out of the shower onto a load of salt crystals...)

If a tub of specifically entitled “body balm” isn’t manly enough for you, then you could try something like the Molton Brown Re-charge Black Pepper Bodyscrub Bar. This is a very mild exfoliant but (a) is in a bar of soap form and (b) is scented with black peppercorn oil, bergamot and oakmoss, making it totally masculine!

No comments:

Post a Comment