Thursday 29 August 2013

My New: Clinique, Face Scrub (£18.00, 100ml)

Scrubber
Okay, okay, I'll admit that this isn't "my new" anything. However, recently another brand got in touch and asked if they could send me their face scrub and, as I've agreed to try it out, I thought it was about time to give props to long-time friend Clinique. I've used this product for so long, and on and off since I was 15, so I feel very used to its ways. Which also means, I suppose, that it has safely made it onto the most coveted shelf of my bathroom cabinet, which is after all what these "my new" reviews are about.

So, Clinique, with its massive product range (and marketing budget), has some great and some not so great products. In the skin supplies for men "3-step system" range (the three steps being cleanse, exfoliate, moisturise), this face scrub in my opinion is one of the winners. 

It's an exfoliant,  and you use it in the shower (well, I do), pre-shave. I also tend to wash my face after using the scrub, though I've always thought this was down to personal preference rather than anything else. 

I think of this as quite a serious product - it's rough and, because the particles are quite fine, it is a very effective scrub. On application, I certainly wouldn't go "at it" very intensively, just enough so that the scrub lathers a little and turns white. But then, it is designed to remove dead skin flakes and excess oil, as well as lifting the beard to make for a cleaner shave and to avoid ingrown hairs, so I wouldn't want it to be too gentle. Once lathered, you then rinse off with warm water after about a minute.

The product is fragrance free, but does have that nice clean "Clinique" smell, which is no bad thing in my book. Also, there's that whiff of menthol, which is quite lovely. Nice and refreshing on the skin too.

The Clinique website says that you should build up to daily use with this product. I've never used it more than three times a week.  So if you are targeting your usage, it's best on mornings when you haven't shaved the day before or where you feel you might be suffering from particularly oily or dirty skin (I won't ask why...). 

If you haven't tried it before I'd say give it a go. Also, it seems to last forever, so I think it's actually a pretty good deal too. 

Now get exfoliating that visage!

7 comments:

  1. Dearest Stuart
    The Dandy is so with you on this one... a face essential.
    As for 'the whiff of menthol'... its more like a tropical storm to my humble nose, quite bracing as they used to say of Skegness.
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't build up to this daily in a million years but I love it. Also using it since I was 15/16 (those Christmas grooming kits!) I love it.

    Top tip – apply it onto the face BEFORE getting in the shower and leave it on for TWO minutes. The menthol effectively opens the pores so as you massage it away, more dirt, debris and dead cells are removed from the skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If your first experience is via a Christmas set then all the better - hooks you in with that "free" taster!

      Great tip as well - going to test that out!

      Delete
    2. No it wasn't the free ones. Haven't you seen those big gift sets they do each Christmas for men? With 4 full sized products and a toiletry bag. My mum buys me one every year, she still does! LOL.

      Delete
  3. I totally agree with you on this one. Its a pre-shave, pre-glow essential. I like the methol-y thing...it leaves a nice tingly finish.

    As far as attack goes, I like a good scrub, so I do exfoliate with considerate pressure. I use it in the shower too so being under hot water helps in softening the skin pre-scrub and pre-shave.

    Definitely a desert island product for me!

    Czar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with entirely on the pre-shave essential - just don't scrub with over-considerate pressure!

      Delete