Saturday 5 October 2013

Product Review: Korres, Saffron, Amber and Cardamom Eau de Toilette (£30.00, 50ml)


I wasn’t sure what to expect when I was first approached with a saffron, amber and cardamom eau de toilette by Greek brand Korres.

Scents of India and the orient normally please me greatly (think about the sandalwood body lotion by Ishana and Penhaligon’s Zizonia, which have both previously made it onto this blog), but it seemed so out of character for Korres that I was somewhat worried. However, doing a bit of research I found that this spicy fragrance made it neatly into the Independent’s list of the fifty best fragrances, so my reservations didn’t last long.

First, the packaging. The bottle itself is extremely simple (I would perhaps have preferred a black cap, but I’m being picky). The sharp edges remind me of a medicine bottle or a product in a cool Scandinavian apothecary, which I like. This simplicity is also demonstrative of the price, which is extremely reasonable at £30.00 for 50ml.

More importantly, the fragrance itself. I found it quite intense upon application. You get an immediate honey-fied whiff of saffron, though it is the amber and agarwood base notes that last longer for me. There’s cedar and sandalwood in the heart of this fragrance too, so it really does capture the "scents of the East" well.

For those who like something warm and woody, with a little spice on top, I think you will enjoy this one.

My main criticism, however, is that the longevity is pretty average. My advice would therefore be to carry the bottle (or a handy atomiser) around with you for reapplication post-lunch and/or pre-drinks. The lack of longevity is perhaps due to the almost exclusively “natural” content of this fragrance. Chemicals do make things last longer…

Also, there is alcohol in this product, so if you generally stay clear of eau de toilette's with alcohol content then keep this in mind!

Available at www.TheFragranceShop.co.uk. 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. I am a big fan of Korres but have not yet tried any of their fragrances.

    Gedlab.com – A blog for the modern man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just make sure you carry it around to re-apply. I've had some good feedback from sniffers this week, so it went down well. There's a few other fragrances too, some "unisex" and some "feminine", but I haven't tried those out!

    ReplyDelete