Tuesday 17 September 2013

Product Review: Clinique, Anti-Fatigue Cooling Eye Gel (£22.00, 15ml)



Eye creams, gels and serums are one of those products that I don’t normally buy, or buy into. They’re often over-priced and play off the insecurities of people like me (desperate to avoid crow’s feet and the effects of all that life well lived)! In most cases a good moisturiser should provide you with all the support you need for this delicate area.

With that in mind, I’ve been testing out Clinique’s eye specific offering for men over the past two weeks or so. The result, I must say, has gone a little way to countering my initial sentiment. But only a little. While I adore some Clinique products (like the Face Scrub), this eye gel is not breaking any boundaries for me.

The gel is designed to reduce puffiness and dark-spots under the eyes whilst cooling, refreshing and hydrating. A big promise. And as the winner of GQ’s Grooming Award for “Best Target Solution” in 2012, I was kind of expecting to be wowed. 

Starting with the positive, the gel is cool and soothing, and vitally non-greasy. I'm also pretty confident that you could use this with any skin type without side-effects.

It’s caffeinated, which constricts the blood vessels, helping to reduce those nasty bags under the eyes. Of course no coffee smell to help wake you up though. In fact it’s totally fragrance free, which is perfect.

The roller-ball applicator is quite fun, but I haven’t found that it gives a very even spread. Afterwards I certainly have to use my ring finger to smooth the gel over the desired area (basically outwards along my cheek bones) to make sure everything’s absorbed. However, the roller-ball does helpfully avoid wastage. I sometimes can’t help but be tempted to scoop a little too much out of those pots!

Because the gel is quite light (and does absorb well, even if it requires a little manual assistance), I think you could apply it over a light cream-based moisturiser if you were so inclined. I tend to put a little bit over Aesop’s oil free hydrating serum, which is why…

…there is no need in my opinion to keep this product in the bathroom cabinet. Keep it in the office for that pick-me-up during the day, when you’re starting to flag and your skin is struggling from the over-active air-conditioning or from being out in the howling wind. Or following a boozy lunch, maybe? I just don’t think it’s going to perform any miracles in the bathroom.

If you’re interested, the gel is widely available in stores and online.

No comments:

Post a Comment