Monday 19 August 2013

Product Review: Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Daily Cleanser (£18.00, 150ml)‏

Kiehl's - some mud for your face?

I bought the Kiehl's Rare Earth Deep Pore Cleanser some time ago in New York, but have never got round to using it until quite recently. The reviewers on the Kiehl's website really rave about this product, so I won't deny I was expecting big things.

Formulated for normal to oily skin types (I raise my hand), it contains amazonian white clay to remove surface debris and oils from the skin, which can both enlarge the appearance of pores. 

Now, I'm not sure that this "deep" cleanser has reduced my pore size, but it does leave my skin feeling clean and blemish free (and maybe a little bit mattified). The clay acts as a mild exfoliant, so you get a bit of 2-in-1 value here too, although I would still use a specific face scrub or other exfoliant a couple of times a week, particularly to loosen facial hair pre-shave if I've gone unkempt. On those days, I wouldn't also use this product but rather a more gentle cleanser.

Straight out of the tube this both looks and smells a little bit like mud, there's no denying it. But applied to damp skin it starts to froth up slightly, and provides quite a pleasant feeling when being massaged into the face and neck. If you don't like a gritty face scrub but still want some exfoliation, then you might really like this product.

One thing I don't love about it is that occasionally it makes my skin tingle upon application. Generally I don't like or trust products that do that. Also, the tube says to apply morning and/or night, but I have only been using this once a day and I think to use it more might leave the skin a bit dry. 

This cleanser is part of the Kiehl's "Rare Earth" range. As the entire range is designed for oily skin types, I may be bringing you reviews of other Rare Earth products soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment