Wednesday 14 August 2013

My New: Aesop Oil Free Facial Hydrating Serum (£43.00, 100ml)

Aesop Oil Free Facial Hydrating Serum - my new best friend
This is the very first "My New" review feature. Showcasing products that I'm using, have come to love, and will be continuing to treasure, "My New" is different from the average product review. These products have managed to find their way to the glorified special shelf in the ol' bathroom cabinet.

To me, it was obvious that the first product should be Aesop's Oil Free Facial Hydrating Serum (pictured above). What an absolute delight of a product this is for those with combination or oily skin. 

Now, first and foremost I must admit to being a big Aesop fan en générale. The unisex product range means that men aren't cheated out of half the line, nor do we have to put up with some vaguely patronising "specially formulated for men" bull. Some products are gender specific, most are not.

This serum is to be used like a moisturiser, after cleansing (washing) and toning the face and neck. If you're shaving, it would be used post-shave (although I wouldn't necessarily recommend this as your post-shave moisturiser - see below). 

Application is hygienic, economical and, best of all, actually quite fun. You use the handy pipette to draw up only exactly as much serum as you need, and then dump it into your palms. No need for anything to touch and contaminate the pipette before you slip it back into the bottle. For anyone with a bacteria phobia, this is magic.

You can then smooth the serum onto your face and neck however you're choosing to use it. I only apply the product to my t-zone (forehead and nasal strip) where my skin is most oily and prone to shininess, but it could be used over the entire face. On days when I'm shaving, I use  Kiehl's Ultimate Men's After-Shave Balm and Moisturiser (reviewed on 11 August 2013) for my shaven area. On other days, I use a different cream-based moisturiser for my lower face and neck.

The ingredients in this Aesop product are nourishing and reassuringly high-end (for the price tag I'd expect nothing less). Aloe Vera for soothing, Vitamins B and C for hydration and stimulation of collagen formation respectively, and Ylang Ylang for that zen feeling. 

Finally, the best thing is this product feels incredibly light, and absorbs immediately. So you can always layer on top of it with a sun block (read my Clinique Sun Protection SPF 30 review, from 8 August 2013) on those summer days.

If you're looking for something super hydrating then this might not be the product for you. If that's what you need and you want to stick with Aesop, you might try their Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Hydrator (pictured below, and £43.00 for 60ml), which is aimed at those with normal to dry skin. 


Aesop Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Hydrator


9 comments:

  1. Dear Stuart
    The Dandy is a big fan of Aesop too. When his hands aren't being soothed by Kiehl's then it by these fine fellows.
    My skin having graduated to dry over the years I probably need something richer now, but this does sound lovely.
    Yours ever
    The Perfumed Dandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is lovely! Have you tried the Parsley Seed Anti-Oxidant Hydrator? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts if so!

      Delete
  2. Hi Stuart,

    Thanks for visiting my blog. I see we have reviewed the same product!

    I've never thought about men and skin care, but come to think of it this serum is pretty good for guys who don't like the feeling of having something heavy smeared on their face! The lack of scent is also a plus so you won't go about your day smelling like flowers or something!

    PockMarkFats

    http://pockmarkfats.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. And yes, smelling of flowers not really on the agenda for most modern men!

      Thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  3. Brilliant review, this has suddenly jumped to the top of my to-try list..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - let me know what you think when you try it. Aesop tend to be really good at giving out samples, if you want to give it a try before splashing out the £43.00!

      Delete
  4. More Aésop to try out. I got the cleansing oil of theirs on my list too.. hmm time to whip out some plastic soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're going to spend some cash then my advice would be spend it in Aesop - a great range of products (I've just started using the resurrection hand balm, which is also delicious) and looks seriously cool in your bathroom.

      Stuart

      Delete
  5. I had visited your website which was really good handy pipette

    ReplyDelete